Football season calls for grilling out, lots of tailgating foods, and fun drinks! But just because your go to meals and hotdogs and burgers, doesn’t mean you can’t take it up a notch. I’ve long thought my husband makes the best burger around (juicy, flavorful, and perfectly sized). But after he made this bacon marmalade, there was seriously no question. It is THE BEST addition to any burger.
While a bacon marmalade sounds pretty fancy, it’s actually quite simple to make on a game day. So grab your crockpot, sit back and catch Sports Center, and get ready for the most amazing topping ever.
- 1 1/2 lbs sliced bacon
- Two medium onions - diced
- Three cloves garlic -minced
- 3/4 cup coffee - brewed
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces
- Fry bacon in skillet until crispy
- Set aside to drain
- Remove all but a tablespoon of bacon grease
- Cook chopped onion and garlic in skillet until soft
- Combine coffee, cider vinegar, maple syrup, and brown sugar in skillet with onion and garlic
- Bring to boil and let boil for 1 minute
- Pour skillet mixture and bacon in crock pot
- Cook on high for 4 hours - uncovered - stirring every 30 minutes
- Use to top burgers for a simple but fancy upgrade!